I have spent my Sunday repairing a rotten step in my home. Here is what you do:
- Unscrew the rotten board. Got stuck.
- Search the Internet to find out how to remove stuck screws from rotten deck. Learn all about what the origin contractor has done wrong.
- Using a variety of ways, including just pull the board with the screw still in it since it is rotten anyway, to remove the board.
- Check for dry rot damages. Found out it is worst than you thought.
- Remove rotten wood with putty knife. Apply wood filler.
- While waiting for the wood filter to dry, cut the replacement board.
So I am about three quarter there. I still have to buy more chemical tomorrow to seal the wood. Let's hope the replaced board can last a while. By the way I learned a lot from the Ron Hazelton's online video How to Repair Dry Rot in Wood.